Registration is on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:30 am to 11:00 am (except on holidays). We are accepting applications for winter and spring 2017 programs. Class start dates are listed in the Calendar section. All prospective students must follow the registration process and bring the required documents to register. Read below for details. We look forward to helping you succeed.
In order to qualify for any program or service at the SUNY Bronx EOC, every prospective student first must meet these three preliminary requirements as set forth by the University Center for Academic and Workforce Development of the State University of New York (UCAWD/SUNY).
New York State Residency
You must be a resident of New York State for at least one year, except for families and/or individuals in transitional and/or special housing arrangements.
You must meet the income eligibility requirements. Please refer to the Eligibility Guidelines to determine your eligibility.
TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) Scores
You must meet the TABE Reading and Math required scores for your program of choice. Please refer to the Required TABE scores for program specific requirements.
Registration takes place every Monday and Wednesday starting at 9:00 a.m., except on holidays (doors open at 8:30 a.m.). Bring photocopies of all documents as listed on this page. You will receive an appointment for TABE testing. The first 40 participants with all the listed documents will be considered for registration.
TABE placement tests are administered to applicants with admissions tickets on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00 a.m., except on holidays. If you are unable to keep the TABE test appointment on your assigned date, you must reschedule the appointment with the Admissions Department in person on any Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday, except on holidays. You can also contact the department by phone anytime: (718) 530-7039 or (718) 530-7002. TABE test seats will not be given to walk-ins on testing days.
Upon acceptance, you will receive an acceptance letter with a date for you to attend orientation. On the first day of classes you will be provided with a class schedule and the SUNY Bronx EOC - Student Handbook.
All of our services are free of charge. To register for courses, the applicant must meet the basic eligibility criteria of New York State residency and required income. Additionally, every applicant must meet specific TABE levels in accordance with TABE test scores. Applicants with 24 or more college credits are ineligible for registration. If these requirements are met, a selection committee evaluates the course requirements and personal suitability of each prospective student. To complete and graduate from a course as a registered student, he/she must abide by the rules in the SUNY Bronx EOC - Student Handbook provided during the first day of classes.
Please note: Acceptance is also contingent upon an interview with a counselor as well as approval from the Director of Academic Affairs and the Executive Director.
All applicants must provide the SUNY Bronx Educational Opportunity Center with copies of the following documents on the date of registration. Please also bring the originals.
Proof of Income - (All that apply)
- Federal Tax Return (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ)
- Non-filers: Letter from employer on letterhead stating name & income & IRS Form 4506-T (provided by Admissions)
- HRA Cash Assistance – Current Budget letter (most recent & not older than 90 days)
- SSA/SSI Documentation – Social Security Award letter for current year
- Veterans Administration Disability Benefits letter
- Unemployment, Pension, Annuity Benefits or Workers Compensation letter for current year
- Child Support or Alimony payment stubs for current year. (Court ordered or affidavit)
- Residential (Shelter) Program Letter
- NOTE: Pay stubs, W2 forms or notarized letters - Not acceptable as proof of income
Proof of Education
- High School Diploma
- High School Transcript (with graduation date)
- High School Graduation Verification letter
- High School Equivalency Diploma (including test scores)
- Foreign Diplomas (must be translated into English)
- NOTE: Applicants with 24 or more college credits are not eligible
Government Issued Identification
- NYS DMV Identification
- NYS DMV Learner’s Permit
- NYS DMV Driver’s License
- HRA Benefits card with picture
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Permanent Resident card
- EMT applicants should have a valid NYS Driver License. Valid NYS Learner Permit allowed with limited enrollment.
Social Security Card
- Must have signature
- NOTE: Applicants with "valid for work only" from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services are not eligible.
Proof of Legal Status in the United States
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- U.S. Citizenship/Naturalization Certificate
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Permanent Resident card
- U.S. Asylum documentation
Proof of New York State Residency
- NYS DMV Identification or Benefits card (must be dated at least one year prior to registration)
- Voter Registration card or NYS DMV Registration
- Apartment Lease
- Residential (Shelter) Program letter
- Posted mail with name and address (must be dated at least one year prior to registration)